Kernel 2.6.19-gentoo-r5, distro implied from kernel name ;)

The google discussions that I followed about the same problem were talking
about such a behavior on kernel 2.4 (!) - however the stuff they were talking
about seem to be quite different on 2.6, so all their suggestions were
useless...

May I also mention that time drifting on SMP is not something new to me. Seen
it many times, just that usually the drift is one way, and does not increase
at such pace... more like less than a second per hour, which is bearable...
(if I have ntp ;))

        -- Shimi