On 27/04/07, Danny Lieberman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Amos
Separate paranoia from privacy.
While I am skeptical that Google can afford to make use of privacy
information or allow it to leak
- if I were working on a startup that threatens search engines - I might
also setup a private email system somewhere.

Google is not just a search engine. And it's not about competing with - it
could be simply having an idea of a service you can partner with them (or
their competition in any of the numerous fields they operate in) which they
can simply steal from your e-mail.

FWIW - it is standard operating procedure these days for a customer to
insist you use their corporate email.
I have a contract with a US corp. and they insist we use their corporate
(hosted Exchange) email system
It helps them monitor outgoing content for data leakage.

I'd imagine that the difference is that the host their managed exchange
server didn't make them sign on an agreement which said that the host has
the right to do ANYTHING with the files they store on that host's servers
(including publishing it).

Anyway - I've just read their privacy policy again and it looks like they
improved it a lot - it now says that they won't access the content of your
GMail messages (other than to provide the service) without express
permission from you.

So that point is apparently mute.

--Amos

http://www.google.com/mail/help/intl/en-GB/privacy.html