My son was given an MP4 player for signing up for Maariv's children's
magazine (yes, someone in this family can actually read Hebrew).

It's called an MP4 player because it is better than an MP3 player.
It does NOT play MP4 files. It plays files of a type called AMV
with a low (128x96) resolution and frame rate.

It came with a Windows program that will convert many formats of
video files to amv files. The program is slow and has few options.
The biggest problem is that it has no diagnostics. Some files
won't convert and all you get is a message with the status "error".
No other details provided.

I've tried to use Mencoder to re-encode files that don't work to
specifications that match files that do, with no luck.

In short, I'm stuck. I'm looking for a program, preferably that
runs under Linux, that will encode files to the correct specifications
(which I can't really find anyway, but hope someone has found them)
and report why it has failed if it does not work.

So far, I've had no luck with Mencoder even creating avi or mpeg
files to feed into the encoder or VLC. Depending upon the parameters
chosen, both sometimes produce empty files.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel [EMAIL PROTECTED]  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838