The solution should have been to release the software under GPL, that is the
whole purpose of the GPL.
I hate those who try finding solutions to keep software not free.

--
Ori Idan

On 5/18/07, Amos Shapira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 18/05/07, Ori Idan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The whole purpose of the GPL is to keep software freedom.
> I hate all those who try to bypass the GPL and find a way to write
> propriatry software and bypass the GPL.
> I usually avoid working with such companies.

I completely understand your opinion and felt very uncomfortable having to
ask such a question. But alas - it was thrust on me as "something we just
discovered and you have to re-implement a replacement for this GPL code
which taints the software we sold to our first customer".

See - the company discovered long time ago that the programmer who wrote
this used code which turned out to be GPL. (libraries are usually under LGPL
so that programmer fell into this trap). They asked the programmer to find a
workaround before his contract ends but he never bothered to do so and now
they found that this library still taints their code.

--Amos