Oron Peled wrote:
> Do we believe many individual small contributions somehow "dillutes"
> the GPL into public domain? I don't think copyright law work this way.

In a way, it does.

If I start out with a GPL program that is 1,000 lines long, and through
a series of patches, none of them copyrightable  and no two coming from
the same contributor, achieve a 2,500 lines of code program that has
only 100 of the original lines, can I still honestly claim to own
copyright over the piece?

The reason this is not practical is because it is extremely unlikely to
happen. If the patches changed the entire program, it is extremely
unlikely that they will be non-copyrightable themselves. This is due to
the fact that a single line patch CAN be copyrightable, if it expresses
a unique idea.

Shachar