Hi,

I don't know much about Google Talk, but a few things come to mind that I
vaguely recall reading

* I thought I read something today that suggested that Google Talk was SIP
compatible.  If this is true, you should be able to use any SIP client to
talk to it.

* I see that DID World Wide (http://www.didww.com) offers terminations to
Google Talk.  I know they use Asterisk for their IAX2 terminations, so maybe
they use it for Google Talk as well.  I also heard through a friend that
OpenPBX (a fork of Asterisk) has Google Talk support.

Note that I've not ever looked at Google Talk and have not done any research
prior to this Email.   I may well go off and do some.

As for other Win<>Lin solutions, I've had a couple of successes.

OpenPhone from the Open H323 project (http://www.openh323.org) has worked
well for me.  You need to forward port 1720 and 50xx through if you're
behind a NAT/firewall, and if you're behind a NAT you also need to specify
the public IP address so that the packets have the correct reply address.

Other thoughts:

* You could use a SIP client at either end.  There are numerous ones for
both operating systems now.

* I believe VoXaLot (http://www.voxalot.com ?) have some kind of web app
which allows you to talk to SIP (?) devices without having one yourself.
I've not looked into this however.

* I understand that you can get Skype for Linux now, but my two attempts at
installing it left me with a lot of headaches while trying to satisfy all
the dependencies.

* and if you really only need something simple, you can always use Speak
Freely.

With all these solutions, you can run into a little trouble with codecs.  If
you can stick to things which aren't too proprietory, such as ULAW/ALAW
(64kbps) or Speex (8-40+kbps) then you should be OK.  Even GSM shouldn't be
too much trouble.  Codecs like G729, G726 and G723 will cause some problems.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to ask further questions.  Perhaps give us some
idea of your particular requirements.

Geoff.