To: <linux-il@cs.huji.ac.il>
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2007 6:21 PM
Subject: Hardware Recommendation

Hi All.

I'm in the market for a new laptop, and I hope that people on the list
can share their experience with current laptops, specifically in regards
to Linux compatibility and reliability.

I'm interested in spending less money, but still get a brand with good
(preferably world-wide) support - otherwise I'd go with a good Thinkpad
which I know from experience is a great product, so currently I'm
looking at these brands:
HP Pavillon
Compaq Presario
Dell (whatever - can't make heads or tails of their brand names)

Also a couple related questions:
- Did anyone have any success in getting a brand laptop in Israel
without paying the "MS-Windows tax" ?
- Did anyone manage to get a Dell with Ubuntu installed ? From talking
to some Israeli sales reps that distribute Dell laptops I got mostly
"huh?!?"s.

Thanks in advance

--
Oded