On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, Amos Shapira wrote:

On 20/07/07, Oded Arbel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > * sound support ? What type of chipset is the laptop using - in the
past
> > I had some issues with sound under MBs with ICH8, specifically low
sound
> > quality and the inability to turn off the speakers when attaching
> > headphones.
> >
> Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition
> Audio Controller

AFAIK new computers come with ICH8. I would love to hear some success
stories from people who have ICH8 on their laptops and do not have sound
problems.

My Dimension 520 desktop comes with an ICH8 and so far I haven't got around
to investigate how to make sound work on Debian Etch. I just connected the
audio cable to the new monitor and tried to play something and it didn't
work.

Are you sure this is not a simple mute issue?

Here is what "lspci -vvv" gives on this device, the "unknown device" is a
bit discouraging:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 02)
      Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 01dd

ALSA does support ICH8 audio. But your system is not known (at least in latest release, 1.0.14).

Some "close" systems are known (0x01d6, 0x01d8), and all Dells appear to use Sigmatel codec, with reference configuration.

You might add support for your system by merely editing file
sound/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c
changing 0x01ce to 0x01dd (assuming you use a new enough kernel).
You might also upgrade to ALSA 1.0.14, without replacing kernel.

--
Matan Ziv-Av.                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]