I decided to try rtorrent (rTorrent 0.6.4 - libTorrent 0.10.1), instead of
ktorrent whch seemed to be strangling my internet connection. So long as I
was dealing with only 1 or 2 torrents, everything seemed OK. I should say
that I didn't change anything in my firewall (i.e open any ports for
rtorrent), so I'm not surprised that the downloads are very slow, but I can
live with that.

I tried adding 2 more torrents and started to have serious problems. With 4
torrents active, the total download and upload speeds are only about 10 Kb in
each direction. I have a 1.5 ADSL connection, so rtorrent "seems" to be using
a very insignificant part of my bandwith. But, even so, it completely locks
up my internet connection. While 4 torrents are active, I can't even ping
outside the LAN. Sometimes ping responds that the network is unreachable and
sometimes unknown host. Stopping the torrents solves the problem immediately.

I've played with various settings, mainly throttling, but with no success and
I have no idea what's happening. The ony thing I could think of is that maybe
my ISP (Smile - 015) does some sort of traffic shaping, but I have no idea if
that's true or how to check. IF that's the case, I've read that encrypting
the torrent traffic can help, but I haven't tried that yet, since as I said,
I don't even know if that's the problem.

Any ideas.

--
Shlomo Solomon
http://the-solomons.net