On 03/10/2007, Julian Daich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wednesday 03 October 2007 09:52:34 Michael Tewner wrote:
> > I remember when the C128 came out with Sprites - efficient basic
> > animations. Ah... Those were the days.
>
> Sprtites( 2D hardware acceleration) were also included in the C64 and its
> 1980's predecessor Vic20. However there were no BASIC native commands to
> operate them. You needed to poke to use them.

You needed "poke" and "pick"(sp?) to do ANYTHING on those boxes, as far as I
remember ( a good intro to computer hardware, as you learned about CPU port
numbers in no time :).

As for Shachar's comment that he doesn't think that the AppleWorks was
writen entirely in assembler (I didn't follow the entire discussion but
that's the gist I got from this part of it) - personally I'd expect it was
actually writen in Assembler. That's the way programs and OS's were written
back then. The first UNIX was written in assembly, including the utilities
until C was invented just for this - to write UNIX in a more convenient
language, and that (writing an OS in anything but assembly) was a
revolutionary concept (I can still remember viewing the BSD 4.2 shell source
- it looked like somebody used something like awk to convert the assembly
code to C line-by-line :)).

--Amos