"Amos Shapira" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> As for Shachar's comment that he doesn't think that the AppleWorks
> was writen entirely in assembler (I didn't follow the entire
> discussion but that's the gist I got from this part of it) -
> personally I'd expect it was actually writen in Assembler.

And your expectation seems to be right:

http://apple2history.org/history/ah19.html

> That's the way programs and OS's were written back then. The first
> UNIX was written in assembly, including the utilities until C was
> invented just for this - to write UNIX in a more convenient
> language, and that (writing an OS in anything but assembly) was a
> revolutionary concept

But your attempt to justify your hunch does not ring true: AppleWorks
is a product of the 80ies, UNIX and C had been in existence for quite
a while by then. AW was written in assembly for efficiency, but not
due to tradition. In fact, its predecessor had been written in Pascal
(see the link above).

The history part (the first UNIX was indeed written in assembly on a
PDP-7, then came B, NB, and finally C) is, of course, correct:

http://www.bell-labs.com/history/unix/.

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.goldshmidt.org