On 20/11/2007, Kfir Lavi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a problem running echo inside Makefile.
> Here is the Makefile:
> all:
>         @echo "string"
>         @echo -e -n "string"
>
> The output is:
> string
> -e -n string
>
> The problem is the second @echo command. It prints '-e -n' instead of
> interpreting those options.
> I have tested it on other comps and it works fine, so its an environment
> problem in my comp.
> What var or file determine this behavior?

It mostly depends on which shell is used. "echo" is a built-in command
in many shells as well as there are stand-alone implementations
(usually under /bin). And many of the different versions use different
options.
Do you use autoconf or do you write the Makefile directly? I'm pretty
sure autoconf can interrogate the system and find the right
combination of echo and flags for your needs (but I never got around
to use it properly).

--Amos