On 20/11/2007, Kfir Lavi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ok,
> make -d don't show much.
> I have attached the two files: Makefile and make.log

That's weird - your make.log says:

Must remake target `all'.
-e -n aaa

(i.e. "echo" is missing").

But running "make -d -n" on my machine (Debian Etch, make 3.81, bash
3.1.17, /bin/echo from GNU coreutils 5.97) I get:

Must remake target `all'.
echo -e -n "aaa"

(i.e. "echo" is included).

What was the exact command you executed to get "make.log"?

Maybe add a space after the "@"?

I also see in bash's man that "xpg_echo" shell option will tell the
built-in echo to expand backslash-escape sequences by default. It's
off in my bash.

Another piece of documentation - the coreutils info page about echo says:

<quote>
   If the `POSIXLY_CORRECT' environment variable is set, then when
`echo''s first argument is not `-n' it outputs option-like arguments
instead of treating them as options.  For example, `echo -ne hello'
outputs `-ne hello' instead of plain `hello'.

   POSIX does not require support for any options, and says that the
behavior of `echo' is implementation-defined if any STRING contains a
backslash or if the first argument is `-n'.  Portable programs can use
the `printf' command if they need to omit trailing newlines or output
control characters or backslashes.  *Note printf invocation::.
</quote>

Do you have POSIXLY_CORRECT envariable set? How about trying to switch
the -e and -n in Makefile?

Cheers,

--Amos