On Dec 18, 2007 2:47 PM, Oren Held <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If a process has 1gb in virtual memory, of which 500mb in physical,
> then this means that it has 500mb in swap. Or in other words: 500mb that
> the
> process wanted in physical but couldn't. (isn't that what you asked to
> know)

BTW, are you sure the "Virtual" column indicates real+swapped pages?

I'm not sure what the terminology really refers to, but something called
"virtual" is likely to refer to all pages, even totally non-committed ones
-- i.e. when you malloc 1GB, your address space is expanded but until you
touch those pages, the kernel wouldn't bother allotting real nor swap memory
for it.