Oded Arbel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Now (again - according to my understanding) under contention - i.e. when
> processes need to use more physical memory then what is available - the
> memory manager keeps swapping stuff in and out of memory in an attempt
> to satisfy all requests. Under such conditions its might be useful to
> know - for each process - the amount of physical memory in use, the
> amount of virtual mapped to the process, but also how much of that
> virtual memory the process actually tries to use but can't get it all in
> physical RAM because other processes are also hogging the memory.

All of the above is basically correct.

> Does such a thing exist in Linux?

Internally to the kernel, look at the active_list and inactive_list
members of struct zone. I have no idea whether it is exposed to
userspace in any way. You can find out, I suppose.

So the kernel knows it, what would you do with it as a user? If you
need it and the kernel does not allow you, I suppose you can write
your own /proc file module... May be a nice exercise for students...

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.goldshmidt.org