On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 15:21 +0200, Dotan Shavit wrote:
> > I don't think that swapping has anything to do with the IRQ behavior I'm
> > seeing,
> In that case, it probably is network related...
> Can you provide more details regarding this?
>
> Is the Apache server you mentioned located on the same machine?

Indeed.

> Are you connected to a private vlan (or seeing non relevant traffic)?

Its infrastructure I don't really have access to so I wouldn't know, but
I'm on a good switch (maybe with a vlan) and I don't see traffic that
isn't meant for me.

> Do you get this (a lot of time is spent in the "hard-IRQ" region) all the
> time
> or just when the server is accessed by it's clients?

I'm always seeing some traffic, so its hard to say if I wouldn't see
hard-IRQ when there aren't any clients. But interestingly enough a
second identical machine which is currently doing nothing except
maintaining a replica of the MySQL database on the first is also seeing
high hard-IRQ counts. A third completely different computer on a
different network with different work loads that also maintains a
replica of the first MySQL database is also seeing high IRQ usage.

> What is the difference between this machine and the other (I understand the
> other machine works OK) ?

Hardware wise and OS wise - nothing. Software wise there are many
different things, but most prominently:
* it doesn't see the same kind of traffic (which I currently don't think
is the issue as the second server above doesn't see any traffic)
* It doesn't replicate its databases.

--

Oded