I had 4 displays connected to my linux machine - unfortunately, they
were 4 not-so-good PCI video cards, and my computer spent all its time
writing to the PCI bus - Usable, but slow.

So, I dedicated the linux machine to just managing the displays, and I
worked using XDMCP from a different server. That worked great.

Again, that was with bad video cards and a not-so-powerful computer.
Your mileage may vary.

-mike