Hi,
Something is rotten in the kindom of Danemark.
Monday evening there was suddenly no internet connection. Neither in my
computer (Debian etch) nor in my wife's (Windows XP).
After bypassing the router, I was able to connect my wife's computer, but
not mine. Neither in Debian, nor in windows or knoppix. Conclusion:
probably the on-board NIC went bust.
I entered the BIOS, and switched it off and then mounted instead a (very
old) winbond 89C940 card that I had lying arond.
Both windows and Knoppix worked happily with it.
A google search & comparison of lsmod for Knoppix and Debian pointed to
nek2k-pci.ko as the necessary module.
After adding ne2k-pci to the /etc/modules of my debian, I rebooted it. The
card was recognized and the module loaded (dmesg: eth0 winbond 89C940 found
at 0xa000, IRQ204, 00:40:95:04:77:B6 ...and ne2k-pci.: v1.03 etc) but eth0
was not configured. lsmod confirmed that ne2k-pci.ko and 8390.ko had been
loaded.
What did I wrong, or failed to do?

There was a hint in dmesg: to try "pci=routeirq" if any of the devices does
not work. I have no idea where and how to use this hint. Can anyone give an
example?

To complete the mistery. After reset to factory defaults, the router worked
again as new. An this morning, after reactivating the on-board NIC,
everything works.
Any hint will be most welcome. Cheers, Avraham

--
Please avoid sending to this address Excell or Powerpoint attachments.