On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 09:43:58AM +0200, Avraham Rosenberg wrote:

> There was a hint in dmesg: to try "pci=routeirq" if any of the devices does
> not work. I have no idea where and how to use this hint. Can anyone give an
> example?

It's a kernel parameter. It goes in your grub.conf or the equivalent LILO
file.

for example after "root=/dev/hda1 r/o"

> To complete the mistery. After reset to factory defaults, the router worked
> again as new. An this morning, after reactivating the on-board NIC,
> everything works.

It happens occasionaly. If it starts happening regularly, replace the
router. I had an 8 port 10/100 hub that did that. I gave it to a friend
who replaced a bunch of capacitors on the circuit board and it works
fine now. The symptoms were increasing numbers of errors (as reported
by ifconfig, nothing on the Windows computers), to the point where
it would stop working until I removed the power and reset it.

I prefer the realtek 8139 derivative NICs. They are really cheap
(around 50 NIS) and are well supported in Linux, Windows, BSD and
MacOS. They also perform reasonably well.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel [EMAIL PROTECTED]  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838