Hello,

I don't have direct answer to your questions as I don't know much about
the 2.4 kernel code.

However, I just want to give these four comments about IPV6 in 2.4 Linux kernel:

1) Also in the latest 2.6 kernels you cannot "rmmod ipv6" when it is
configured as a module, although work is done to enable this in the future.
So you can ignore or not treat too seriously this
"unloading bug when IPv6 is configured as a module" note about the 2.4
kernel you mentioned

2) As far as I know, most test suites for IPV6 are not compatible with
the 2.4 kernels (for example, TAHI Conformance Test:
http://www.tahi.org/conformance/).
I did not check this point though.

3) The 2.4 kernel does not have any IPSec support (not for IPV6 ; I think that
also not for IPV4).

IPSec is mandatory according to the latest IPV6 spec and is
optional in IPV4 spec (although most operating systems, including Linux and
OpenSolaris had implemented it also as part of IPV4).

See, for example, in RFC 2401, (Security Architecture for the Internet
Protocol),
although it is **not** mentioned in your list.

from rfc 2401:
  10. Conformance Requirements

   "All IPv4 systems that claim to implement IPsec MUST comply with all
   requirements of the Security Architecture document.  All IPv6 systems
   MUST comply with all requirements of the Security Architecture
   document.".
..
..

4) The only tunnel you have in 2.4 IPV6 is sit (IPv6 in IPv4 tunnel).
At least in the
link for 2.4 code you mention in your mail. (maybe it does exist in
newer versions of 2.4)
You don't have the ip6_tunnel ("ip6tnl") which is IPV4 or IPV6 in IPV6.
(Though this is relatively easy to implement, based on the 2.6 implementation)

Regards,
Rami Rosen