Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:

This approach has a non-negligible chance of FAIL. Consider the list
of necessary utilities:
You may well be right, but to me that means just one thing - what Aviram is trying to do is impossible in a sane way.

As a side note, I don't know why the "user space interface" does not include those programs (well, I can understand about ext2 tools, assuming ext changed format since 2.4, which I don't know whether it has). I find it extermely unlikely that procfs changed enough to break ps or top (after all, the relevant part of /proc to make those programs work exists even on Solaris). I can see why mount will change interface, but not why backwards compatibility should not be extended to the mount(2) syscall. The only program on your list that has, in my view, a legitimate excuse for failing is udev, and as far as I recall, Redhat 7.2 predates that by enough to make it irrelevant (in fact, again, as far as I recall, the sysfs filesystem on which udev relies wasn't in 2.4 at all, so the changes introduced to it over the 2.6 versions can't make a difference). As, again, as far as I recall, Redhat 7.2 does not use the (now deprecated or even removed) devfs, it means that this particular incompatibility should make no difference to Aviram.

Shachar