I have a machine that I want to replace the kernel on. It's an old Redhat 7.3
and it works; but it's too old to use an rpm. Upgrading to a newer version
(or different distribution) is not an option.

I intend to compile a new kernel (a 2.6.x) and put it on there. What should I
be taking into account? Will all the applications work? Are there any libc
dependencies or similar trickery?

- Aviram