Hi Geoff,

>  I expect that it was something quite different. Much more likely is that
>  they either had money troubles, or they had staffing problems and wanted
>  to hire someone who wanted the extra money.
>
>  They figured you would take the cut, and if you did not, they would live
>  with whomever they could get at the salary. Each month they did not fill
>  the job, they would "make do" and save the money.
>
>  Quite possibly, they budgeted salaries and expenses at 4.25 NIS to the
>  dollar, got their funding in dollars and found that it was now 30% short.

Actually they had the money from VC's (around $700K) which isn't bad
for a 4 people start-up. They already started to make some money.

>  I'm sorry that you had to go through the emotional roller coaster but in
>  the end you are well rid of them. 95% of all startups fail, 75%-85% of
>  them in the first year, and this is just one of the reasons.

Emotional roller coaster? thinking about the work there right now, it
was simply "written all over", and I should have connect the dots and
see it coming.

Want an example? I was given a simple task: create a backup/restore
scripts. Nothing fancy, just create some tarballs, run it with cron
with a command line parameter for debugging. Easy stuff, right?

So I wrote it in bash, just like the other scripts were written. He
didn't like that I use "grep" instead of "egrep". fine. modified the
script. Now he wants it to be written in Perl. Fine, Perl it is. Then
he wanted it to be written in PHP. Fine, I wrote it in PHP with
libcurl for uploading/downloading. He doesn't like libcurl. Fine, I'll
rewrite it without libcurl. Ah, but libcurl can give you the HTTP
status (200,300 you know..), rewrite with libcurl and add parameters
for more verbose output.

See what I mean? A damn simple job to create backup/restore had to be
written 4 times because he couldn't decide on one way or letting me
decide what to write and with what to write.

Thats why I wrote what I wrote the first time. If your boss is acting
like a child when he needs to make decisions, then this should be a
sign for a potential employee.

Personally, I like to laugh a lot and making stupid things, I have
strong political opinions, and I even do some "research" on mysticism,
and I write a blog about these things. I leave all of this behind me
when I work. I'll be happy to talk to friends at work about mystic or
political stuff when we're eating out or when we finished working at
the end of the day, but I will NOT mix my agenda's with my work.

Few months ago, I wrote a post about a biologist who was fired because
he believed in creationism. You might be interested in reading it:
http://benhamo.info/wp/?p=314

>  I'm not sure how you could do it and not expose yourself to trouble,
>  but you should let everyone know who the guy was and the name of his
>  company, so that no one else falls for the same trap.

I prefer not to name names.

Thanks,
Hetz
--
Skepticism is the lazy person's default position.
my blog (hebrew): http://benhamo.org