Just as a follow-up to Hetz's announcement of new internet packages from cell providers, I'll share my experience.

I went to Orange yesterday and asked them to switch me from my 200MB package to the 5GB one mentioned. The rep told me it was a smart move because it's the same price! 80 shekels.

But then he went into the computer to switch me, and a warning popped up that he's not allowed to do it. He asked the manager, who said it appears that even though it's advertised, the package is not yet allowed to be added to any plans. he said I should call the Orange Data Services number and they could add it when it's available.

So I called them when I got home, and they said it's only for a modem, not for a phone. I explained that I have an iPhone and that I can easily use the same data plan as a laptop. She said that would be fine, and went to switch me, but then apologized and said she couldn't. It can only go for a modem, she said. I told her how ridiculous I thought that was, and asked "what if I use my phone as a modem to connect my laptop to the internet?" She agreed with me, but was powerless to change it.

So no 5GB plan for me.  If anyone else has more luck, let me know!

Shabbat shalom,

--sambo