On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 02:14:49PM +0300, Dan Shimshoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to write an application/a kernel module which will
> notice when a process named "xyz" starts ?
>
> For example, I want to be able to notice when a user statrs a process
> named "calc" (by running calc, or whatever other unspecified command)
> and print this notification to a file (or to kernel log).
>
> My assumption is that I know **nothing** about that process besides it
> name, "xyz"; I don't know anything about which ports it uses, (if at all),
> I don't know the files it uses, (if at all), etc.  All I know is ***just***
> the process name.
>
> And a very important point - I don't know for how long this process
> will run before
> exiting. It can be less than a second, and I **MUST** take this in account
> and handle such a case.
>
> Can this be done at all?

You might be able to do something with Proess Accounting (apt-get acct
on debian). Also by other, "newer" means, such as syscalltrack, perhaps
also selinux/audit/whatever. Note that a user can link to a binary and
run the link, in which case you won't notice. This might or might not
matter, depending on what you try to do.
--
Didi