Very simple :

1. Rename your original process
2 . Write a wrapper script with a same name which perform your custom actions and then calls to original process

CHEERS.
lev

Dan Shimshoni wrote:
Hello,

Is there a way to write an application/a kernel module which will
notice when a process named "xyz" starts ?

For example, I want to be able to notice when a user statrs a process
named "calc" (by running calc, or whatever other unspecified command)
and print this notification to a file (or to kernel log).

My assumption is that I know **nothing** about that process besides it
name, "xyz"; I don't know anything about which ports it uses, (if at all),
I don't know the files it uses, (if at all), etc.  All I know is ***just***
the process name.

And a very important point - I don't know for how long this process
will run before
exiting. It can be less than a second, and I **MUST** take this in account
and handle such a case.

Can this be done at all?

Regards,
Dan