Hi,
I installed Hardy on a friend's new Thinkpad X61 laptop, and I'm facing a
serious problem.
The laptop's hard drive heats up to unbearable temperature (hddtemp shows
numbers over 50 degrees). When running smartctls, the hdd's Load_Cycle_Count
is increased in an alarming rate.
The web is filled with contradicting information on the effect. The (somewhat)
official information I dug is:
and
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/acpi-support/+bug/59695
The solutions offered there doesn't seem to help much.

I remember this as an Ubuntu issue a while back, but I didn't expect to see it
in 8.04.

I'd appreciate any suggestions to debug and solve this,
Ami