On 28/07/2008, at 08:04, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

I was involved with a start-up ISP that was to provide free access via
WiFi. The money for basic access and infrastructure was to come from
advertising.

I was also, in the US. I don't know what the financial plan was, just the technical aspects. The funding was to come from a guy who owned a handful of radio stations, and wanted to build community wifi in his neighborhood and expand it. I spec'd out the infrastructure, but the project never got off the ground for political reasons.

The startup you are reffering to AFAIK is FON from Spain, which allows
you to get credit by sharing your Internet connection. You need a special
router to join. BT included their software in all of their new routers
but so far, no one really uses it.

If anyone happens to be in my neighborhood, look for the FON_NETANYA network :)

--sambo