Few quick tips:
 - Try to see what is the filter which kills your CPU, maybe it's unnecessary?
 - Use the RAZOR2 filter, PYZOR, DCC
 - Use bayes filter ("teach" sa using sa-learn)

In my place a single-core old AMD handles it pretty well (but I have low
traffic). I get about 1-2 false negatives per day (to my single mail box).

 - Oren