Hi Shachar,

Actually they are distinguishable as OpenVPN doesn't 'talk' the same way as an
HTTPS server

I agree both utilize SSL (actually TLS) as their means of encryption and
authentication, but the protocol itself can be easily detected as being
non-SSL by looking at the first bytes of the data being transmitted on every
packet.

In any case very few (if any) packet analyzers will block such traffic on the
basis of looking incompatible with SSL/TLS traffic.

On Monday 03 November 2008 11:03:17 Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:
> > SSH works jut fine of course (and so openvpn).
>
> You tunnel openvpn over ssh? I'm not familiar with that method.
>
> Personally, I run openvpn on TCP port 443. This is indistinguishable as
> far as a listener is concerned, even with a sniffer, from regular https
> traffic, and is allowed out of everywhere. Openvpn even has a mode of
> using a HTTP proxy for the connection, should your ISP insist on one.
>
> Shachar

Noam Rathaus
CTO
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.beyondsecurity.com

"Know that you are safe."

Beyond Security Finalist for the "Red Herring 100 Global" Awards 2007