On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 17:59:12 +0200
"Dotan Cohen" <dotanco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/1/19 Micha Feigin <mi...@post.tau.ac.il>:
> > I write to these sites. I refuse to accept word documents from people. I've
> > gotten quite a few people used to sending me text or pdf instead of word.
> > I'm not sure if I'm the only cause but I've gotten several offices in my
> > uni to start sending PDFs along with the word documents. I've even sent
> > several sites code to correct their faulty html. I even go to the lengths
> > of refusing to use windows only course management sites and email
> > interfaces in the places I teach, telling people that if it's not
> > accessible from linux they can assume that I didn't get the information ...
> >

> Where do you study, Micha? I do the same at the Technion, and most
> organizations in the Technion have in fact started sending PDF. Only
> the secretary of my faculty still sends Word documents, she insists
> that nobody else complains therefore it is not a problem.

I study in Tel-Aviv. Part of the point I always raise is that a lot of
computers were converted to linux both due to cost and so that they can be used
as a cluster. I also sent as a reply to just about every mail that contains
word only data that I can't read it and if they want me to then that they
should send it as pdf. It's especially useful for things that they need me to
read ...

The upside of them being ignorant to linux is that they don't know that
openoffice can show most documents (it does fail rather measurably on math
though)

Another thing that may help is to go there, be nice and show her how easy it is
to produce pdf from the word document (you can install primopdf for her, it's
free, although not open source, and works as a virtual printer).
http://www.primopdf.com/