On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 12:34:09 +0200
"Dotan Cohen" <dotanco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/1/19 Micha Feigin <mi...@post.tau.ac.il>:
> > We need to convince whomever is importing apple to lower their prices,
> > besides the nice machines it will force these sites to be more compliant
> > when more people yell at them with "mainstream" operating systems.
> >
> > They are still convinced that there are only five people in the world using
> > linux.
> >

> Do you write to these sites, then? How do you want them to know that
> we exist if we do not write to them. I have written to every single
> one. Do it too.

I write to these sites. I refuse to accept word documents from people. I've
gotten quite a few people used to sending me text or pdf instead of word. I'm
not sure if I'm the only cause but I've gotten several offices in my uni to
start sending PDFs along with the word documents. I've even sent several sites
code to correct their faulty html. I even go to the lengths of refusing to use
windows only course management sites and email interfaces in the places I
teach, telling people that if it's not accessible from linux they can assume
that I didn't get the information ...

> > Another thing to do is to finally get some people who know web development
> > in the market and not just people who studied html for dummies.
> >

> HTML For Dummies teaches browser-agnostic code! I only wish that more
> developers would use that approach. It's those who have taken some
> IE-specific course or are using some MS tools to write websites that
> are the problem.

Don't remember which one of those but at the time when I was reading a bit to
help my wife in course she took all the books that talked about javascript,
dynamic html and css were explorer only. I've had to google extensively to find
more general solutions and it always required some dirty hacks to get the same
page looking exactly right on all browsers (especially when complex designs and
popup menus were involved). Didn't find one book that taught dynamic html and
javascript in a generic manner.