Shachar Shemesh wrote:
Orr Dunkelman wrote:

The question is whether your swap partition is encrypted or not.

In case it is not - you are probably writing too many secrets to the hard disk.

If it is - well, then I can understand why the machine is slow.
It is encrypted, but swap is hardly used on my machine.

And I didn't say my machine was slow. I said that having my entire home dir encrypted made compilations slow.
Besides that, knowing about speeds of encryption and hard drives, it
seems that if you use good ciphers, there should be no real
performance lose  (I know that there is such, but I never figured out
why).
Maybe because both compilation and encryption are CPU bound?

Shachar

If you are really into that, work with VM and encrypt/decrypt the
directory containing its files. ( Just an example, YMMV )
VM is pretty fast by now, even on desktop machines.

Moish