On Thursday 08 October 2009, geoffrey mendelson wrote:
> On Oct 8, 2009, at 8:58 AM, Aharon Schkolnik wrote:
> > Hi.
> > I am currently connected to the Internet via a HOT cable connection
> > using the modem supplied by them and a single ethernet connection to
> > my PC. I bring up the connection using a script which uses pptp. The
> > PC also boots XP which connects using whatever program HOT supplied.
> > I now need to ADD a wireless connection in addition to the fixed
> > ethernet connection (for a laptop). For my taste, the "right" thing
> > to do is to attach a wireless access point to the HOT modem. Since
> > the modem has only a single ethernet connection, the access point
> > would have to include an ethernet connection for the PC in addition
> > to the ethernet connection to the HOT modem. The only problem with
> > this solution is the cost - an ACCESS POINT D-LINK DAP-1160 costs
> > over 300 NIS.
> > My question is: should I consider buying a modem with cable+wireless
> > +ethernet and using it instead of the HOT modem ? Will I save
> > significant money ? Will I have trouble if I need support from HOT ?
> > What modems work with HOT ? Are there problems setting them up to
> > work to support Linux and XP ?
> > TIA.
>
> You have to keep the HOT modem.  It's no problem, I've had two in
> about 9 years. The first one did not really need to be replaced, but
> since it was 8 years old and I have "business class" service, the tech
> decided to replace it to save a service call when it did eventually
> fail.
>
> The easiest thing to do is to go out and buy a router. You can get a
> good one such as an EDIMAX for under 200 NIS. You can get a cheap one
> from Ivory for 130 NIS. I had one and it had problems when you used it
> to copy files between a wired and a wireless computer. Otherwise if
> you just used it to share an Internet connection it worked perfectly.
> They have a new model, but I can't find my recepit, so I can't take it
> back. :-(

OK, looks like I can get a Edimax BR6204WG for NIS 160, or a TP-Link TL-
WR641G for NIS 130. Anyone want to recommend for against either of these,
or suggest something else ?

> I have over the years run computers here sharing the internet
> connection here with Windows, Linux. MacOS, Solaris, and a few other
> odd systems. I have only had trouble when I used a Linux system as a
> router, and that took 5 years to happen. The problem had to do with
> NAT not happening on some connections and replacing it with a router
> fixed the problems.
>
> Geoff.

Thanks for the advice !

--
  The day is short, and the work is great,    |  Aharon Schkolnik
  and the laborers are lazy, and the reward   |