2009/10/15 Andrew Kaplan <akap...@netshack.co.il>:
> NGN is simply FTTC (Fiber to the Curb).  At the curb, they put in a DSLAM
> that converts the fiber to ADSL2+ or VDSL.  ADSL2+ is already active on 8mb
> connections; most of the modems they have been passing out in the last few
> years are ADSL2+ compatible.  ADSL2+ has a maximum of 24mb down / 1.4mb up
> (theoretically in ideal line conditions). Since they can't guarantee perfect
> line conditions (and upload is more sensitive to attenuation), they cap it
> at 800mb up.  Eventually, when they want to go above these limits to their
> "up to 50mb download speeds" they are advertising, you will have to change
> out your modem for VDSL or VDSL2. VDSL modems can handle up to 100mb
> upstream as well, so that will be when you see better upload performance.

BTW In Australia ADSL2+ is pretty standard in the urban areas ("the
bush" is a completely different story), with large caveats about
"distance from exchange".
Annex M is claimed to increase ADSL2+ upload speed to 2Mb/sec,
becoming more and more wide-spread.

For a symmetrical link at our office we use SHDSL, have 3M/3M now, can
upgrade to 4M/4M at a small extra cost.

--Amos