On May 12, 2010, at 8:22 AM, Gilboa Davara wrote:

Though, I doubt that the OP will care if he's installing Linux from a
single LiveCD or from an installation DVD. (I would assume that if he's
talking about multiple machines, the DVD version will be far less
bandwidth hog)

Actually it does not matter. Just about all of the modern distros dowload their add ons or updates to a staging directory. Some of them have cleanup set to run by cron, some never clean up, waiting for you to do it manually.

All you have to do is to turn off cleanup (deleting old package files) on a "master" computer and then point the "slaves" to it's staging directory.

UBUNTU does have a process where you can sync the packages installed on one computer with another. You do it by listing the status of all packages to a file, input the file to the package manager on the other computer and then tell it to install anything it now thinks should be installed and isn't. I think that is done via dpkg, so any debian based system will do the same thing.

Note that you may have to do a grep to remove uninstalled packages from the list, or it will happily go along and remove anything that is on the second system, but not the first.

I think that you probably would not want to run auto updates, and for that version avoid a distro like Fedora , with it's constant updates, because it becomes a moving target as it were, and makes development that much more difficult. The last thing a programmer needs is to find that what worked yesterday fails because over night a new version of the compiler or a library was installed.

It has happened to me with various distros, because I am "overnight" to them and they uploaded an update of several libraries that were in separate packages over several hours. I just happened to get the update midway and only had some of the libraries updated, which caused the application to crash.
 :-)

Geoff.

--
geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM