Hi Nadav,

On Sunday 18 Jul 2010 10:03:32 Nadav Har'El wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010, Shlomi Fish wrote about "New Freecell Solver gcc-4.5.0
vs. LLVM+clang Benchmark":
> > On the other hand, with gcc-4.5.0 with "-flto" and "-fwhole-program"
> > Freecell Solver ran at 85.1303749084473 seconds.
> >
> > I admit that I ran the gcc benchmark with a good renice and only in the
> > virtual console, while running the LLVM/clang benchmark without a renice
> > and in KDE and Compiz, but it still cannot explain the dramatic
> > difference.
>
> Two nitpicks:
>
> 1. Instead of admitting to not running the two benchmarks in the same
>    conditions, can't you spare another 85 seconds (!) and run one of them
>    again?

Yes, I can. I'm on to it, which will take a little longer because I've deleted
the svn checkout of LLVM today before I read your E-mail.

> 2. Do you really think that your measurements are accurate down to the
>    individual picosecond? :-)

No, I don't. But that's what I copy and paste from my timing program which is
using gettimeofday() and that's what I get after being processed with a Perl
script.

> Anyway, I guess that in any case it shows that gcc has nothing to be
> ashamed of.

Well, at least not in comparison to clang and LLVM. Reportedly, gcc does not
yield as good results as, say, Intel's icc. (But see:
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/07/12/1320202&tid=142&tid=118&tid=123
).

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish