The standard deviation can give you an estimation of the minimal running
time. (99.xxxx of the samples are within X standard deviations below the
average. Pick a high enough xxxx relative to the number of times you'll run
the software, and you'll get an estimation of the minimum running time
you'll get).

The scalar representing the minimum running time have the obnoxious
mis-feature that it doesn't tend to a certain value. So with a small
probability you can sample your input today 1m times, and tomorrow yet
another 1m times, but still get very different results because of a very
rare event. The probability this would happen with the mean or the standard
deviation is much much much lower.

But I know almost nothing about statistical analysis, so don't take my word
for it, and I'll be glad to hear any corrections.