To: "linux-il" <linux-il@cs.huji.ac.il>
Sent: Sunday, August 15, 2010 11:28 PM
Subject: You develop in Linux and are looking for work, and are requestedto provide CV as a .doc file - what would you do?

I am now looking for work, and am undergoing the usual drill of sending
E-mail messages in response to job/project ads and referrals.

My mode of operation is to E-mail the URL to my CV in my Website.  Light
and sweet E-mail and the receipient's E-mail client has the convenient
affordance of letting the receipient see my CV by clicking on the URL in
the E-mail message.

I encountered an interesting phenomenon.

Some of those companies (both placement and project subcontract work
outfits) look for a Linux software developer AND expect you to E-mail
them a MS-Word .doc file.

My current rule of thumb is to accommodate the job placement companies -
they just matchmake according to keywords, and they have too much work
to educate their workers about the foibles of Linux developers.

But I would expect the subcontractors to have a clue about Linux
developers/users (no MS-Word, in other words).

If YOU were looking for work now, how would YOU deal with such
companies?

--- Omer

--
MS-Windows is the Pal-Kal of the PC world.

I may be affiliated in any way.