On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotanco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Several times I have been caught in the situation in which the
> Infrastructure (Hot in this particular case) and the ISP (012 in this
> particular case) blame each other for the customer not having internet
> access. I need to understand this.
>
> After two weeks of my mother-in-law not having internet access, during
> which 012 blamed Hot and Hot blamed 012, I get there to take care of
> the issue. At Hot they tell me that since the modem lights are fine (4
> lit, one flashing) the problem must be with 012. At 012 they tell me
> that because she connects without a Dialer (as all Linux customers do)
> they cannot trace the problem any further than a superficial check
> which checks out OK. 012 "sees" the modem, so they say the problem
> must be with Hot.
>
> Apparently, the ability to trace problems is the reason that Windows
> users must use a Dialer. Furthermore, at 012 they inform me that it is
> Hot, not 012, that is providing the internet outside because there is
> no dialer. They say that they gave Hot "permission" to connect me
> directly to the internet this way. So if Hot can provide connections
> out, then why do we need ISPs at all? I notice that no other nation in
> Europe has this Infrastructure/ISP dichotomy.
>
> Furthermore, the next time that there is a problem how can I check if
> the issue is with the infrastructure or with the ISP?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://gibberish.co.il
> http://what-is-what.com

Hi,
I had the same problem.
I found out that when HOT do a reset of the connection everything works
again.
Reset - Move to dialer, then move back to dhcp.
You will need to ask it more then once because they don't want to do it.
(they want you to open network connections...)

Another problem is a reset of the dhcp I get every few seconds. I get the IP
then
I loose the IP.
I found out that using the --nolink to the dhcpcd client, will not reset the
dhcp every few seconds.

Now for me, everything works, for now.
Until next time that I need to call them and shout very very loud until they
listen.
F... them. I really really hate them (HOT).

Regards,
Kfir