There is a reason the Amazon is the market leader. From all I could read, it
has the clearest screen, a long battery life, and is faster with less
glitches than the competition. I also think there are more books available
for it then for other format. Of course, I have only tried the Kindle, so I
can't say how other fare in comparison.

You can convert any PDF document using Calibre or another free (I think)
program for windows, which provide .mobi documents. But this works better
for fiction, as it does not do tables and detailed images justice (unlike
text). You can also read PDF on it, but the screen size makes it a less than
pleasant experience.

As long as you stick to text, the Kindle is your best friend. Battery lasts
for weeks, size is small, it reads well in moderate to strong light, and it
does not cost that much. The only thing for some of the other readers is
that they can be hacked, since they run Android.

My 2 cents.

Z.

Check out my web site - www.words2u.net