I'm following the forums around it but from what I heard CM7 doesn't fully
support the SGS yet though this might change soon since Samsung released the
kernel sources a few weeks ago.

Another concern is that the CM7 apparently doesn't add battery or speed on
top of stock 2.3 Android. For this I saw recommendation for DebusROM (
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=893385) which sounds like
it addresses what I care about - battery life, stability and speed (in SGS'
case - no lag).

Nice detailed Youtube reviews and howto's can be found here:
http://www.androidgalaxy.net/cyanogenmod-7-detailed-review/

I'm still waiting to either find detailed instructions for updating my SGS
from native Linux or Mac OS-X (probably with Heimdell) or get my workplace
to sponsor the license to install Windows in a VM just for this (I just
don't have access to Windows these days). If I get access to Windows then
I'll try to follow the Youtube instructions in androidgalaxy.net.

If someone can point me to *detailed* instructions how to achieve that
without Odin then I'd love to hear - I don't have time to mess with a dead
phone if I screw things up or to sit through tons of text which assumes you
already know tons of jargon TLA's etc. I tried following instructions but
they all either start by assuming you know the acronyms and the basic stuff
or I end up chasing explanations of the terms used in the instructions.

--Amos