On 13/06/2011 10:49, Amos Shapira wrote:

> 1. I lost root after the flash. All links point to GingerBreak but
> multiple attempts didn't work. I now read that someone noticed it's
> done after leaving it for 2.5 hours so I'll try it again - I stopped
> it after letting it run for an hour. If you know of anything better
> then I'd love to hear.
Yeah, you'll always lose rose if you flash back to a stock image.
Did GingerBreak help you?
Otherwise just flash any rooted / insecure kernel.
(And then download su.apk etc...)

Alternatively flash a custom ROM, which will have this all done for you.
> 2. Hebrew keyboard - in Froyo I used "Keyboard from Gingerbread" with
> a Hebrew language pack, both from the market. But the Hebrew language
> pack says it doesn't suite a "real" gingerbread environment.
Well, I'm currently using the SlideIT keyboard (like Swype but it's
Israeli, had Hebrew support long before, and I found it has better
'error correction').

The popular hebrew keyboard has always been the AnySoftKeyboard, haven't
used it in ages though.
> 3. Battery life - what else can I do to extend it as this was my main
> problem with Froyo and I'm not sure how well GB does so far (but only
> one day of experience).

Often ROMs have various tweaks to help with this.

On my S1, I was using PilotX ROM and had great battery life; that was
still Froyo though, but maybe there's an update by now.

Don't forget, you may need to recallibrate the battery (more on this
elsewhere... it involves wiping the battery stats from recovery and
doing a few full full-empty-full cycles (i think from the lower level
charger when you don't turn on the phone).

If you use something like OSMonitor and find that kswapd is always using
lots of CPU, you can change some of the vm settings with sysctl... I
don't recall off hand but I can check for you if you can't find it...
vm_dirty or something, and I think one other one.

Good luck!

--

Gadi Cohen aka Kinslayer <dra...@wastelands.net> www.wastelands.net
Freelance admin/coding/design HABONIM DROR linux/fantasy enthusiast

//