I am using the eMachines eM350 netbook for this purpose.
Except for short battery life (3 hours or so), it does the job for me.

Office Depot sells those netbooks for 1300NIS, which is a bit more
expensive than digital readers (typically 800-1200NIS), but it is a
general purpose computer.

And I was successful in installing Linux on it.

--- Omer

--
Bottom posters are filthy heretics and infidels and ought to be burned
on the stake after having been tarred, feathered and having rotten eggs

I may be affiliated in any way.