On 29/06/11 12:01, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 11:43:00AM +0300, Tom Goren wrote:

Sounds like a job better suited for a DB backed authentication
system such as LDAP.

This is just off the top of my head, but for some reason I wouldn't
want /etc/passwd and its relatives 1 million lines long.
I shared the same instinctive response and am now trying to find hard
data (ok, anecdotal data) to support it.

Often, when engineers ask a question, they seem to forget that their baseline of comparison, most often manual labor, is not perfect either. The most obvious example is NLP (natural language processing), where when evaluating the accuracy of an NLP engine one should always remember that humans parsing (reading) text have, on average, an accuracy of only 97% (down to 50% if text received via email, for some reason :-).

When you reach so many users, the problems relating to questions such as "how long does it take nss to parse /etc/passwd" start to be dwarfed by the human cost of maintaining a megaline text file. If for that reason alone, you will need to switch to a DB back end.

I will remind you that when we opened Hamakor, we tried to manage the list of members in a hand written CSV. At less than 20 members, the file was no longer well formed and machine parseable. Text files are simply not up to that task, regardless of parsing costs. An admin mistake will wreak such havoc that it is simply impossible to reach that stage anyways, and the core question is, IMHO, moot.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.