Hi All,

Just a quick recap:

I would like to add my 300~ Hebrew books to by Calibre [1] catalog. I
already add most of my English books. The "problem" with Hebrew books is
that they have no ISBN (almost all of the new ones) but the Israeli
equivalent - D.A.N.A. Code.
Currently, there is no way to freely query the D.A.N.A. Code database. This
code is provided and the database is maintained by a private company
called Dana Code Systems [2].

I understand it is easy enough to write a plugin to extend Calibre's
capabilities, so I thought maybe we (as in the FOSS community in Israel) can
write that plugin and query the database. I called Dana Code Systems
and spoke with Uri - a developer.

He says it's not a problem to query their data base for book info, but the
info included is intended for book shops and book distributors: Price,
category, author - no book cover or summery.

He is willing to grant us query access to the data base if I convince him it
will be worth while for his company from a business point of view, i.e.:
They will provide the access in return for paying customers, being a private
company and all...

Dana Code Systems sells a year subscription to access their data base. They
once considered populating the DB with the missing data (cover image,
summery etc.), and even found a Librarian that was willing to do the data
entry, but they dropped it due to financial reasons.

In short, any of you can think of a way we can, as a community, make this
happen?

I am willing to help, but I am no developer, just a Linux user... :-)

Uri is waiting for an e-mail from me, with my suggestion.

Thanks!

Amichai.

[1] http://calibre-ebook.com/
[2] http://www.danacode.co.il/