On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 6:43 PM, geoffrey mendelson <
geoffreymendel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2011, at 6:36 PM, shimi wrote:
>

>> If I understood you incorrectly (and everybody else understood you
>> correctly), then I would add to everyone's suggestions, this: take a look to
>> see if you have avahi-daemon running. This little creature have a tendency
>> to cause session setup delays, even with all DNS off... if you do have it,
>> take it off if it's not needed (and it probably isn't...)
>>

> I have it running on two linux systems, along with DNS servers, DHCP
> servers, asterisk systems, PS3video (UPNP) servers, netatalk, user space NFS
> and samba servers, CUPS servers and so and no slowdown.
>
> Maybe I'm lucky.

Tendency != 100%, my friend. Though I will add that I've seen this behavior
only on desktops using Ubuntu in a network with NIS, it could very be
something that Canonical managed to ruin - wouldn't be the first...

But the fact is a fact, I've found out it's avahai by stracing the slow ssh
connect, seen it stuck communicating with avahi. Then I just stopped the
service, and SSH went from 2-3 seconds delay to immediate. Restarted the
service, and it is slow again. 100% reproducible - I can't argue with facts
:-)

-- Shimi