Hi Shimi,

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 1:28 PM, shimi <linux...@shimi.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 1:24 PM, shimi <linux...@shimi.net> wrote:
>>
>> My bet is one of those:
>> * bad Ethernet cable between one of the computers and the router/switch
>> (you can verify by pinging the router from each one of the computers)
>> * bad switch / home router (common ones where I personally encountered
>> this: Edimax & TP-Link of any model...)
>>

> Oh and, of course, more rare, but should be noted too: bad NIC on the
> computer that was connected with Ethernet in the first place (because you
> already tried a different NIC on the laptop when you switched from WiFi to
> Ethernet)...

Well, the pings from the laptop to the router are fine, but those from
the desktop machine to the router have many dropped packets. I tried
to switch the Ethernet cable of the desktop machine to the one that is
successfully used by the laptop, but there are still dropped packets
there. Maybe there's a bad NIC on the desktop machine.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

-- Shlomi Fish