On Wed, Apr 11, 2012, Shlomi Fish wrote about "Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Resumed
maintenance of libmikmod and mikmod.":
> > That's great. I have fond memories of these "mod" songs, which were "the
> > thing" in the early 90s, before storing and transferring recorded music
> > became practical. I used to have whole diskettes (!) full of these things
> > ;-)
> Nice. I think by the time I was introduced to the MOD scene, I kept most of my
> module files on my hard-disk.

Well, I did have a hard drive at the time, but I only had Unix (AT&T System V
r4) installed on it. This was the beginning of the 90s, before Linux ;-)
Unix didn't have any of these "cool" things - so I was using ScreamTracker
on MS-DOS, and ran DOS and its programs from diskettes. I didn't have room
on the hard disk (80 MB, if I remember correctly) for all these things.

It's amazing how much hard disk capacity has increased since then -
totally eclipsing other improvements in computers. My home computer is now
512 times faster than 20 years ago, my RAM is 512 times larger, my
"modem" is 365 times faster, but the hard disk capacity is 26,000 (!) times
what it was 20 years ago.

If 20 years ago a several-megabyte recorded music file was impossible to
store - and this is why MOD files were invented - today I don't have any
problems storing many hundreds of full-quality CDs (not even mp3), hundreds
of movies, and tens of thousands of high-resolution photos, on a single 2 TB
hard disk. I think, though, that today mod files still have value, as
"open source" music :-)

> In addition to all that, I have been maintaining a list of some of my
> favourite
> modules here -
> http://www.shlomifish.org/Iglu/shlomif/mods/ . One of them had been created
> by my friend
> and me back in high school: http://www.shlomifish.org/art/#music , and is the
> only MOD file I have created up to now.

Very nice :-)

--
Nadav Har'El                        |                 Wednesday, Apr 11 2012,