On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Nadav Har'El <n...@math.technion.ac.il>wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012, Nadav Har'El wrote about "Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT]
> Resumed maintenance of libmikmod and mikmod.":
> > hard disk. I think, though, that today mod files still have value, as
> > "open source" music :-)
>
> I've been wondering, how far are we, technologically, from being able to
> produce free, open-source, *classical* music.
>
> Unlike newer popular music, classical music is too old to be copyrighted
> (see signature below ;-)), so it should be legal to freely distribute
> new performances of this music. And unlike the typical "esoteric" music
> on the tracker-module scene, classical music is actually popular in a
> significant part of the population.
>
> Would it be beyond the current state of the art to sample orchestral
> instruments or simulate them, and synthesize their sound? Then contributors
> would input the music's score, add performance instructions to the various
> instruments according to their own interpretation (just like a real
> orchestra's conductor would), and recorded classical music would come out.

I think that in many instruments, the note depends on the surrounding notes
-
you cannot record a clean note, but rather note A which was played after
note B.
Unless you use things like the piano paddle which muffles the sound on the
spot.
It means that you have left over tones that interact and echo.

I think that with current technology, we would have a symphony that sounds
like
144 sound when they read back a telephone number.

And on another note (pun intended): do you really get these
random signatures at random?

> I don't think that with current technology, this is science fiction.
> Does anyone know if anything like this has been tried? With free
> software?
>
> The end-result of such a project will not only be free, and royalty-free,
> classical music for all, but also an incredible tool for aspiring composers
> who do not have an orchestra at their disposal - and haven't (yet)
> mastered the ability to imagine what their composition would sound like
> with a full orchestra playing it. I don't think it will be a
> death-sentence to real-live orchestras - I don't believe many orchestras
> actually live on royalties from the 20-shekel classic CDs on the market.
>
> --
> Nadav Har'El                        |                   Tuesday, Apr 17
> 2012,
> n...@math.technion.ac.il
> Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |Classical music: music written by a
> http://nadav.harel.org.il           |decomposing composer.

Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda.
http://ladypine.org